Monday, October 17, 2011

Cheesecake with Whipped Cream and Raspberry Topping

I made this cake for my dad's birthday, it is the same recipe as the whipped cream cheesecake but with an added raspberry topping at his request. For the recipe for the cheesecake refer to that post, it is light, fluffy, and totally delicious. The difference between this cheesecake and the last one I made, besides the topping, is that I took the left over whipped cream and whipped it up some more in my mixer to form stiff as opposed to soft peaks and used it to pipe a border. Initially, I piped a rosette border around just the top edge of the cake, but apparently the cake wasn't COMPLETELY cooled when I added the topping and it formed five deep cracks. To fix this I piped whipped cream into the cracks to seal them then piped another row of rosettes random little whipped cream tufts to fill the space between the original border and the topping. 
This is the border I ended up with after all of the repairs, not exactly the look I was going for but it didn't turn out completely ugly. So for the cheesecake refer to the previous post and as for the raspberry topping it takes ten minutes and its made in the microwave! I found it along with many many other things on tastespotting from  The Yummy Life. 
RASPBERRY TOPPING:
Ingredients:

-12 oz (approx. 3 cups) frozen raspberries
-3/4 cup brown sugar (or white brown is just better)
-2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (1 lemon should produce enough)

Directions:

In 2 quart microwave-safe bowl, stir together 2 cups of the raspberries, brown sugar and lemon juice. (Don't use a smaller bowl or the mixture may overflow as it cooks.) Microwave uncovered at full power for 8 minutes total, stopping and stirring after 4 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir remaining raspberries into hot mixture just until combined. Cool at room temperature, uncovered, for 30 minutes; sauce will thicken some as it cools. Cover and store in refrigerator. Keeps for at least 1 week.


topping before adding it to the cake
After I had added this to the center of the cheesecake I had some left over and placed it in the fridge with some left over whipped cream so that people could add it to things later.



No comments:

Post a Comment